Monday, December 15, 2008

Possibilities - Revisited!

Last year (June 11, 2007 to be specific) I posted an introduction to Benjamin Zander. Ben is a symphony conductor, teacher, and leader of the finest order. This past weekend, thanks to a circuitous set of circumstances (initiated by no less than the unwitting Christopher Schoppet), I ran across a presentation Ben Zander made last February at the “TED” Conference.

A little about the conference may be informative. According to their web site, “TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, Design. It started out (in 1984) as a conference bringing together people from those three worlds. Since then its scope has become ever broader. The annual conference [held in Monterey, California each February] now brings together the world's most fascinating thinkers and doers, who are challenged to give the talk of their lives (in 18 minutes).

Chris had found a talk about current education and creativity, and posted the link on his Blog. Curious, I visited the site (a TED page), and, over on the side, noticed a link to a talk by Ben Zander. I “dropped everything,” and went immediately to Ben’s talk, where I remained, enthralled, for the next 20 minutes or so. I hope you are too!

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/benjamin_zander_on_music_and_passion.html

(Oh, by the way, I've officialy designated Benjamin Zander as my hero. A position NOT accorded lightly!)

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thank you sooooo much for sharing that. It brought tears to my eyes. It reminded me of a nun I had as a teacher in the 5th grade that painted a picture for us before listening to Vivaldi's Spring and it's still one of my favorites. I can still see the birds she described.

Old_Guy said...

You know all about it... it's about (Nick nd Jared's) shining eyes!
-OG